Traveller

The Mind At Night: The New Science Of How And Why We Dream
Andrea Rock
The Magic Mountain
Thomas Mann, John E. Woods
Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language (Advances in Semiotics)
Umberto Eco
Persona: A Biography of Yukio Mishima
Naoki Inose, Hiroaki Sato
The Inquisition of Climate Science
James L Powell
State of the World 2013: Is Sustainability Still Possible?
The Worldwatch Institute
Media Studies: Texts, Institutions and Audiences
Lisa Taylor;Andrew Willis
The Philosophy Book (Big Ideas Simply Explained) - Will Buckingham, Douglas Burnham, Clive Hill, Peter J. King, John Marenbon, Marcus Weeks A nice illustrated introduction to the idea of philosophy for students/young people/the still-to be-initiated into the rigors of the philosophical tradition.

It gives a comprehensive overview of global philosophical thought over the ages. Although pretty wide in scope, this book is basic in depth. It gives only a few paragraphs on each thinker.

Admittedly it does give a very nice introduction into each 'group' of thinkers, or rather, each period in history, from a global perspective. A very nice aspect of the book, is that it's not exclusively centred on Western thought, like so many anthologies on thinkers through the ages tend to be.

Makes for a nice coffee table volume (pity about the ugly cover, since the illustrations inside are quite nice); - perfect for a waiting room where anyone interested can while away their time leafing through.

As I said, also very good for teens just starting to venture into the field, as well as for those totally unacquainted with the discipline of philosophy, since ideas are broken down into easy-to-digest diagrams.

Personally I would perhaps have preferred less illustrations and more meat on each philosopher's work. But it's not to say that this is not inherently a useful and well-constructed book. In fact, with its clever illustrations and well-written summaries, it is actually a pretty useful book to have, not only as a handy introduction for students but good as a fast reference/refresher for those situations in which one's memory has gone a bit rusty on any of the topics.

ETA: After reading a lot of non-fiction this year, I've realized that this book is actually extremely well-laid out, clear, and instructional for its target group; which I would assume to be anybody wanting an introduction to philosophy.

I'm almost tempted to give it 5 stars for its excellent organization and lucidity.